Year 5/6 Mixed Tag Rugby
The Leicester-Shire & Rutland School Games Super-Series Finals were back on 7th May! After the Easter break and the highly successful Spring Championships in April it was the turn of the Year 5 & 6 mixed Tag Rugby at Coalville Rugby Club
All 10 partnerships were represented in the competition, battling it out to be crowned County Champions and for a place in the TAG to Twickenham Regional Finals.
Former Leicester Tigers, England and British Lions player Tim Stimson came along to support the event. He watched the potential Tigers stars of the future play and awarded the medals and trophies to winners.
All of the young players battled through the early rain and the strong winds, with the competition culminating in a very close final between Badgerbrook Primary (Blaby & Harborough) and Woodstone Community Primary School (North West Leicestershire). It was Badgerbrook who just edged the victory to take home the Gold, leaving Woodstone with well-deserved Silver. The Pochin School (South Charnwood) picked up third place.
All the teams also compete for the ‘Spirit of the Games Values’ Award, which was given to The Pochin School (South Charnwood) for fully demonstrating the values in which the “School Games” represents – Determination, Honesty, Passion, Respect, Self-Belief and Teamwork.
Year 5/6 Mixed
- Winners ~ Blaby & Harborough (Badgerbrook Primary)
- 2nd Place ~ North West Leicestershire (Woodstone Community Primary School)
- 3rd Place ~ South Charnwood (The Pochin School)
- 4th Place ~ East Leicester (St Thomas More Primary)
- 5th Place ~ Melton (Frisby Primary School)
- 6th Place ~ Oadby & Wigston (Glen Hills School)
- 7th Place ~ Rutland (Hallaton Primary School)
- 8th Place ~ Hinckley & Bosworth (Westfield Junior School)
- 9th Place ~ North Charnwood (Mountfields Lodge)
- 10th Place ~ West Leicester (Alderman Richard Hallam)
- ‘Spirit of the Games’ Winners ~ South Charnwood (The Pochin School)
The Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sainsbury’s School Games is open to all young people aged 5-18 years, of all abilities and backgrounds in every school from across Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland.
It provides schools with the chance to boost their existing work in school sport to create a year-round calendar of competition for all students and provides County, Regional and National pathways for our most talented athletes.
Through our 10 local School Sport & Physical Activity Networks (SSPANs), Levels 1 and 2 are delivered across 10 partnership areas within Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, by School Games Organisers (SGOs).
Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport (LRS) deliver on the Level 3 offer, organising and delivering a calendar of County Finals throughout the year in the form of School Games Super-Series Finals and School Games Championships.
For more information visit www.lrsport.org/schoolgames